Emacspeak-97++ --Emacspeak 6.0 Release Notes
ANNOUNCING EMACSPEAK-97++ (INTERNET PLUSPACK)
This is to announce Emacspeak-97++ (The Internet PlusPack). Based on unique
Interactive Accessibility technology, Emacspeak-97++ provides a powerful
Internet ready audio desktop that completely integrates Internet technologies
including Web surfing and messaging into all aspects of the electronic
This is a major upgrade to my speech output extension to Emacs.
Emacspeak 95 (code named Illinois)
was released on the Internet in May 1995 as the first complete
speech interface to UNIX workstations.
The subsequent release, Emacspeak-96 (code named Egypt) made
available in May 1996 provided significant enhancements to the
interface. Emacspeak-97 (Tennessee) goes further in providing a true audio
Major enhancements in this release include:
... and a lot more ...
- Support for ACSS (Aural Cascading Style Sheets)
in conjunction with W3 3.0
- Audio formatted output for richtext
displayed in buffers in enriched mode.
- Audio formatting for rich text in mail messages
within the VM mail reader.
- Enhanced support for browsing tables.
- Improved table recognizer.
- Support for speaking commonly used ISO Latin characters
- Speech support for the newly introduced widget libraries in Emacs
- A fluent speech interface to a spread sheet application
- Support for view-process-mode --a powerful front-end to UNIX ps
- Support for SGML mode.
- Speaking window configuration using module tapestry.
- More efficient synthesizer interface.
- Emacspeak now has an automatically generated users manual
thanks to Jim Van Zandt.
Emacspeak-97 in conjunction with W3 3.0.XX provides a full implementation of
speech style sheets as per the ACCS specification.
has been evolving rapidly. Emacspeak users are urged to upgrade to the newest
version of W3 as support for the older versions will gradually fall off.
As of W3 3.0, the speech support is integrated into W3; bug reports that are
specific to W3 and Emacspeak should be mailed to the author of W3
and copied to me.
DISMAL -- a powerful
spread sheet application.
As usual Emacspeak-97++ comes with full source-level documentation; please use
the online help that is available.
Here is a link to the release notes for the previous major release,
Last modified: Mon Apr 28 17:06:47 1997